Thursday, February 7, 2013

If Only I Were Amish

We discuss many topics during a typical Saturday morning long run. Last week the conversation flowed seamlessly from work at Spacely Space Sprockets to retirement, health issues, sex, food, performance enhancing drugs, future racing plans and the virtues of being bald. We are truly renaissance men in running tights.
After a few miles I came up with the idea that Jan and I should become Amish. Mike W enthusiastically supported this idea and confirmed that with the appropriately trimmed beard I could make an excellent Amish man.
Think of the advantages if I were Amish! No more gasoline to buy at $3.80 a gallon. My daughter Andrea could take care of our horses.  We would own a neat black buggy to drive to races. No more expensive running clothes to buy. Jan would race in her long handmade skirt and I would have nice long pants.
The Amish seem to enjoy riding bikes, as do Jan and I. They have swimming ponds on their farms, perfect for people who like triathlons. We can grow our own organic fruits and vegetables and I can build crooked furniture. In our spare time we can have a still, make our own wine and sell Jan's quilts at a roadside stand.
You know, this started as a joke, but is sounding better as I continue to write. The next time you see me on the roads I may be chewing on a bit of straw!

1 comment:

  1. I come complete with one broken down old horse and one young one not trained for driving, but I'm sure she would do it for a carrot dangling in front of her. They are very good at producing gas. Can't you turn their manure into some sort of bio-diesel fuel you could sell by the road as well? I am already used to the hours too, up before the sun and passed out as it sets.

    ReplyDelete