Thursday, September 2, 2010

TrailRunner?


For reasons I do not understand, once you become a member of the U.S. Snowshoe Association, you receive a complimentary year's subscription to TrailRunner magazine.
I haven't read a magazine that makes me feel so inferior since browsing through a Muscle & Fitness issue at the car repair shop a few months ago. I'm a toothpick, always have been, evidently always will be and seeing these airbrushed, tanned, men with bulging muscles is not good for my ego.

One might ask, "Mike, you're a runner, how could a running magazine make you feel inferior"? A logical question.
Evidently one is not a "real" trail runner unless you do a 100 mile race. But, not just any 100 mile race, as if that isn't a ridiculous enough distance. Nooo, my friends. Maybe you opt for the Vermont 100 as your race? 100 miles, that is my house in Spencerport, NY to Rich stadium (home of the world famous Buffalo Bills)in Orchard Park, NY and back again! Vermont has "little" hills and dirt roads with climbing totals of only 14,160 feet (similar to climbing Pike's Peak). 70% of entrants complete this baby of a course.
No, if you really are going to do 100 miles why not try the Hardrock 100 in the Silverton Colorado area, 33,992 feet of climb and 33,992 feet of descent for a total elevation change of 67,984 feet with an average elevation of 11,186 feet - low point 7,680 feet (Ouray) and high point 14,048 feet (Handies Peak). Then maybe, just maybe, you will be considered an ultrarunner.
Hardrock is one example, there are many other races available. Perusing Trailrunner, reading the descriptions of running at night, temporarily losing your mind after 15 hours of being in the deep forests, walking/running/jogging over boulders, down steep ravines, across streams probably isn't my cup of tea.

I do like wearing trail shoes though, they are damn comfortable while I'm sitting at my desk in the library.

3 comments:

  1. From Mike: The mag should be called extreme trail running. I've learned to enjoy trail running but also learned that to be competitive and fit you don't have to push yourself to the limit. That's what driving in NYC is for. I'll risk it all for a Yankee game, not a pr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our versions of trail running would be considered suburban streets (Mendon Ponds) or superhighways (canal path) compared to what the extremists desire. Letchworth or Muddy Sneaker might be the closest around here to satisfy their views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further-when I race it's almost always for time, need to finish in a certain time. I'm not able to relax enough and forget that in a trail race when it's a matter of roots, getting lost, streams, mud, severe ups and downs on barely wide enough paths, possibly next to dropoffs you aren't climbing back up from, boulders, slippery rocks. That stuff is for easy hikes, maybe, not racing (to me anyhow). Being able to stop and enjoy the views can be fun.

    ReplyDelete