Sunday, May 24, 2009

WDW 1/2 Report

Congratulations to first time 1/2 IM finisher Amanda and 3x finisher Jan at the Florida/Disney World race! A seemingly long swim, followed by 56 miles of flat to rolling hills(12 miles) to flat (into wind)bike course ended with three loops on a suffocating course that blocked any breeze as the temperature rose to the mid-80's.

On my second loop of the run course I caught up with Amanda, who was in the third mile of her first loop. We walked for about 1/2 mile, when I made the ridiculous decision to try and run again. Within 30 feet my left calf cramped worse than ever in my long life. When I sat on the ground the front of the same leg and my foot also began severe cramping. By some miracle we had stopped about 50 yards from a medical area. Two medics came over with ice packs and one began massaging my left leg. Then my right hamstring siezed up. I was screaming in pain. It wasn't pretty. Long story short, my race was done as I was carted off to the main medical area at transition and received 2 bags of fluids through IV.

A big thank you to Amanda, who stayed with me until the cart took me away, then was still able to finish the course. I am so proud of her. It was also fortunate that Andrea was there and made sure I was cared for in the medical tent. I couldn't imagine going through that without her. Thank you for putting up with this old man in a traumatic time.

Top Ten Memories of Florida WDW 1/2 Ironman, in no particular order:

10. Not getting chewed on by gators (but I swear I heard animal noises while I was in that lake)
9. Staying in a Fort Wilderness cabin, so convenient.
8. Screaming like a baby on the race course and medical tent. A life lowpoint.
7. The first 20 miles on the bike, so flat, so fast, so easy.
6. Not reading any newspapers, email, or national news, and yet the world still went on.
5. Having fun at Epcot, even after 6 trips finding things we had never done before.
4. Watching the new Star Trek movie on a rainy Florida day.
3. Taking photos of Flat Stanley and Bethanie on a stick.
2. Hearing that Jan completed the course and being able to watch Amanda finish.
1. Spending the weekend with family, being cheered on by people who stood out in the sun for hours waiting for the three of us. I think it's harder sometimes to be the loving supporter than the participant.

3 comments:

  1. We are proud of your incredible training and eforts, happy for you,going after the challenge and doing it!! and mostly, glad you are home safe and sound...I especially missed Jan, my running buddy, it was a long week without her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard payback's a b*$&%, and you put up with a lot of ugly coming out of me thru the years! :-) It wasn't that bad, really, just the pain and the adrenaline talking, not you. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else but that tent with you! Rubbing sweaty feet and stealing food from the volunteers for you, your neighbor, and mom when she finished, is there a better way to spend a Sunday at Disney???

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, Congratulations! I am proud of all three of you!

    ReplyDelete