Monday, May 11, 2009

WDW 1/2 Ironman

It's here at last! Sunday, May 17, at sunrise, three McCulloughs will attempt to complete the Florida 70.3 mile event. For Amanda and I, this race is the culmination of months of training and worrying about being able to complete the 1.2 mile swim. Jan is using the race as preparation for her Lake Placid IM in late July and to kick our butts.

Ironman.com is supposed to have updates during the race. Remember that the three of us will probably be starting in separate waves, possibly many minutes apart. I hope to pass Amanda on the bike and Jan on the run.

For big events like this, I've always felt it's important to have three goals.

1. To live. I count the day as successful if I survive the swim with 2,000 people beating on me, gators circling below looking for food and come out of the water before the time cutoff. No wetsuits allowed in the "Tea colored water" (Ironman description of lake). Who picked this damn race!
2. No flats on the bike leg. That simple. If I get a flat I'm going to the side of the road, throwing my helmet, and mangling my bike into a mesh of metal that will fit neatly into a Wegman's canvas bag.
3. Finish the three legs of the race. I don't care how long, who beats me, if the sun is setting. I really do want to finish.

The weather, big surprise, may be a factor. Who knew it would be hot (90+) and humid for race day? I never expected such weather in May (not kidding). So, my only choice is to go all out on the bike and run and finish in under 5 hours. Hah. More likely EMT's will find a rusted bike at mile 39, a blue helmet, black bike shoes, red shirt and black tri-shorts covering a 2 inch deep puddle on the pavement. Sweat-boy meets his end.

Really the week will be a great vacation, seeing two daughters and other relatives, maybe a friend or two. I will try to savor every second of the race. Really. I mean it.

2 comments:

  1. Mike
    We'll be checking on line and pulling for all three of you. Best of Luck.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think I will beat you in the swim? With this heat, I just want to cross the finish to get my medal and t-shirt. I think mom is going to run circles around us......

    ReplyDelete