Monday, June 3, 2013

Natural Born Killer

Today (Monday, June 3) was the start of my new summer work hours, 8:30-4:45. Beginning at 8:30 instead of the normal 8:00am gives a notoriously non-morning runner such as myself the opportunity to get a run in without losing much sleep. This may be TMI, but it is also better for my bowels as I'm not continuously scanning the landscape for port-a-johns or thick bushes.

As I'm doing a loop around the village streets on this beautiful 52 degree sunny morning, a day made for running, a bird flies across the road and begins attacking my ankles! I'm not kidding. It was insanely trying to peck at me and flapping its' wings. I yelled at the thing and it continued so I kind of kicked it and the bird flew away.

Or so I thought. Suddenly the bird came at me from the other side, again attacking my ankles. I didn't want to hurt it but I didn't like being preyed upon either. So this time I kicked and hit the dumb thing. It landed in the grass and kept coming at me! I stepped on it. Yes, this sounds horrible, but imagine being out there and a wild animal won't leave you alone? The bird kept moving so I ran away hoping it wouldn't regain its' strength and renew the attack. I do hope the bird is okay, but I am going to be cautious running on that street again.

All the way home I heard birds caw-cawing and black crows and buzzards kept circling above my head. I know they were waiting for me to drop so they could come in to peck me.  Running in the morning may be over-rated.

2 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding me. What was it? The McAnkle McPecker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking around UAB in the springtime is dangerous as well. The mockingbirds have been worse than any human or animal I have come across, and they are back with a vengeance this year! Yesterday I was minding my own business, listening to my horsey podcast, trying not to spill my yummy lunch as I head back to my office to eat and out of nowhere claws to my head! I had to stop my natural instinct (throw my turkey burger in a box at it and run) as I was starving. Here is the hint, they usually attack from behind, you must face them (run backwards, just think of the cross-training), frantically wave your hands and use a string of cuss words you never realized you knew. Sure, onlookers will wonder which hospital you escaped from, but you just might beat the bird. I believe this is what led Stephen King to write his bird book turned movie The Dark Half...The birds are coming!

    ReplyDelete