Monday, May 20, 2013

King of the House

It was a good weekend for Sal's runners/duathletes. Eileen and Jan won their age groups at the Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon at Mendon Ponds. The trash talking by Jan on how she was going to beat me on the bike fortunately didn't work as I rode a bit faster. Probably me letting the air out of her bike tires didn't help, but all is fair in love and duathlons. During the first 2 mile run I'm thinking how hard I have to go to get a lead on the ladies. The Bear came out in the last half mile going up the sledding hill. On the bike I tried to keep aero and hoped they didn't pass me. Then during the last 1 mile run I see Eileen! She was only 2 minutes or so behind, then I saw Jan, but I knew I was far enough ahead at that point.  Still, I had plenty of motivation to keep pushing. I think I won the ugliest face award while running the last 200 yards downhill to the finish.

My bike leg wasn't as fast as I hoped. What if I had a $2,000 bike (or more) and I still rode the same speed I am on my $800 bike? That would be sad. Maybe it's not all about the bike?

The next day Mike W and Pete (Father Time) Leonard ran the Lilac 10k. Both of them had great races, MW running a 45:19, 8th/47 in age group and Pete 49:52, 6th/19 age group. Mike was top 15% overall and Pete top 25%. Not bad for a couple of old guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment