Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sports News?

Buffalo Bill defensive lineman Mario Williams is suing his ex-fiancee. Mario wants the engagement ring he purchased for $750,000 returned. To normal people like us, those with regular jobs who support people like Mario by purchasing uniforms, tickets and watching games on television, this sounds like a lot of money for a ring.
However the jewelry ads tell us to spend about two  months of your salary on a ring. If you make $48k you should buy a significant other a ring worth $4k or so. (I think I owe Jan a nicer ring).
Mario received a $19 million dollar bonus to sign with the Bills last year. He is due to make $12 million this year in salary and bonuses. Just going on his 2013 salary Mario should have spent $2 million on an engagement ring. He cheated her. No wonder the engagement broke off!

Skier Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods are in a relationship. Something about their recent date was the lead story on a national radio sports program yesterday. I immediately changed the station to music. If I want gossip I'll look at the magazines while checking out my groceries. Maybe Tiger gave Lindsey a ring and wanted it back, I don't know.

In a golf tournament last week Tiger Woods pulled his club out of the bag causing the crowd to gasp (don't ask me to explain why the crowd would gasp, I have no idea). Evidently Tiger's opponent, Sergio Garcia, was in the middle of swinging and the gasping disturbed him, which made his shot go awry. Now course marshals are saying Tiger was told he could pull the club out, or they didn't, depends on which of the 100 marshals you listen to. Tiger won the tournament, Sergio pouted the rest of the day and shot about 8 over par, losing badly. I'm sure intimidating an opponent never happens in other sports and Tiger is a meany.

Orb is running the Preakness next. Orb is a horse, he won the Kentucky Derby on a muddy day. Do not bet on Orb to win the Preakness. This has only happened seven times since 1978. Pick another horse to put your 401k earnings on. I'm going with Goldencents, an 8-1 favorite, the name rhymes nicely with No Sense or Nonsense.

Notre Dame linebacker (now San Diego Charger) Manti Te'o's imaginary girlfriend was ranked the 69th hottest woman in the world by Maxim magazine. Now that is funny.













I promise I'll write about duathlons or running or triathlons in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment