Monday, June 24, 2013

Anniversary?

Occasionally the old-timers who continue to run on weekends beginning at the Spencerport, Union street bridge try to figure out when this all began. We don't exactly know, but the canal path definitely wasn't as developed as it is now. The path was more dirt and two lanes then the crushed gravel it is now. It really did feel like a trail run and there were lots of trees for shade and privacy when "nature" called.
I have log books of my running dating back to 1981, maybe earlier. Sometimes the details are a bit sketchy, but I sure was a lot faster. After a lot of digging some interesting facts came to light;

1. My daughter Amanda was toughened up by biking with me while I ran, beginning around the age of 10. She would carry my water (no energy drinks back then, or gels). Amanda biked with me in February when it was 30degrees and windy, then a week later 40 degrees and more wind. What a nut. I'm guessing there wasn't any snow, at least I didn't record that happening.
2. Sometimes Amanda and Andrea would run at the track with me. I don't think that lasted long. Too much soccer, softball, horses and Legos.
3. I remember seeing Mike Weinpress running around the village. He made me mad. It seemed he was close to my running speed! Then our daughters began playing softball and MW came wearing a Boston Marathon shirt. What a showoff! And he could throw the ball, hard. He hurt my hand. What recourse did I have but to start running with him?
4. The first official recorded run with MW I have in the logbook is August 15, 1992. We ran 2 hours and 29 minutes, the day after racing the St. Pius 5k (I finished in 19 minutes, not sure what MW ran). I'm sure we ran a few shorter distances before this date, but we will go with 8/15/92 as a day that will last in infamy.

We have been running slower and lost more hair ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment