Friday, April 2, 2010

Top 10 Ways to Beat D.M. in a Triathlon

DM=Famous triathlete - Dennis Moriarty

10. Don't wait 30 seconds after the gun goes off to begin swimming (time saved -30sec)
9. Swim in a straight line (save 3 minutes)
8. Learn to get out of my damn wetsuit! (save 3 minutes)
7. Bike faster (in 2008, my first Shoreline Tri I avg. 19.3mph which I thought was pretty good - DM averaged 23.8mph and beat me on that leg by 8:55!)DM likely won't get faster, he is already one of the top Tri guys, I, being quite average, have lots of room to improve - time saved - 5 minutes
6. Not have some fool move my stuff on the transition racks while I'm biking so I can locate it when I come off the bike (save 1 minute)
5.Run faster? Maybe I can, but DM is just much better at this. (time saved 0)
4. I'm experienced at tri's now, having completed 3 sprints, 1 du, 1dnf 1/2 IM compared to DM's national rankings, hundreds of tri races,IM's, overall Shoreline/Hamlin Beach wins, age group wins. Well, okay, maybe this tactic isn't that great?

If learning to swim, bike and transition don't work, I'll try the following tactics:
4. Line up behind Dennis for the swim and loop a weight on his ankle just as he begins his first stroke (save 1 minute)
3. Hire Hooters girls to distract DM. They will be stationed at the swim exit and transition area. I'll pay extra if they "help" him remove his wetsuit. (save 3 minutes)
2. Spike his water bottles. (save 2 minutes, possibly much more if the alcohol makes DM be friendlier to the Hooter gals).
1. Use proven Mike W. race tactics, plenty of elbows, "accidental" foot tripping and bad jokes (save 2 minutes).

In 2008 Dennis won our age group in a time of 1:19:35, I finished 7th in 1:43:05 a 23:30 difference, or as some people like to say, "DM cooled down, was on his second beer, changed clothes and was eating a hot dog as you finished".

I need to find other ways to close the gap, the 10 ideas above save me 20 minutes and a couple may be considered illegal in some circles. Suggestions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment