Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grunts, Groans, Wheezing

Runner's World online has an article on loud runners. Many people have posted comments on how annoying these loud runners are. A couple of people admitted they are loud runners, but the majority hate us.

Yes, us. I am a loud runner. Training partners know I'm not running hard enough if they don't hear the "bear". I don't do it on purpose and would really prefer not making any noise. It actually makes my voice and throat sore for a day or two if I really pushed the pace. It also startles some people, or makes them laugh at me, or warns competitors that I am near.

It's not asthma, been checked. Seems to be weak muscles in my larynx area that close up with repeated deep breathing. I'm a sensitive old man, give me a break, I don't breath loudly on purpose, but if that's what it takes to get the best out of me, so be it.

Keep wearing your headphones, then you won't have to hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment