Monday, June 20, 2016

Medved 5k to Cure ALS

Sunday, June 19th, was the 18th running of one of Jan's and my favorite races, the Medved 5k. The course has changed a bit over the years, but is always flat and finishes with running the entire outfield track of Frontier Field and ending at home plate.

At race time, 8:30am, it was already 71 degrees and sunny, but the humidity was low and there was a gentle breeze at a few points in the race so the conditions really weren't too bad for a summer run.

The Medved 5k is always a Rochester Runner of the Year series race and we were hoping to get credit for participating in one of the races, not even really considering getting an age group point for being in the top ten. I've run this race in reasonably fast timea in the past and not gotten a point, so that didn't really enter my mind as anything to be concerned with. This was my first race since November of 2015 after falling while out on a run just before Christmas.  I was basically out of running from January-March, in physical therapy for eight weeks, and ran/walked my first mile in the beginning of April.

My pre-race nerves were out of sight until about five minutes before the start (It must have been the passionate starting line kiss Jan gave me that brought a sense of peace and that calmed me down and made me ready for the race). The race also became a test of Garmins in a non-scientific way, as Jan, Lou, Jennifer and I all wore them and had different distance results. None of us matched the course distance exactly, which would have been weird to do anyhow since no one runs all the tangents the course would have been measured with. I had the highest result, at 3.19 miles. It is a certified course at 3.1069 miles (5 kilometers), obviously usually called 3.1miles. So my Garmin had the course about 140 yards long. 20+ of the yards would have been my starting in the pack before the official line. Not taking the tangents well would account for more distance. The rest, who knows? Jan had 3.15 on her Garmin, I guess she runs the tangents better.

The Sal's team had excellent results at the race! Mike W led the way with a 22:47, 3rd in age group, Jennifer K 23:03, 4th AG, me 24:47, 5th AG, Eileen 25:26 4th AG, Lou K 25:30, 6 AG, Pete L 26:18, 3 AG and Jan 28:40, 4th AG. So we all ended up with mega RROY points! Yay. Complete results may be found at PCR timing.



No comments:

Post a Comment