Monday, November 25, 2013

Triathlon Speed Part 3


In the book, "Faster: Demystifying the Science of Triathlon Speed", the author uses scientific research from studies done around the world to help athletes go faster in triathlons without taking out a second mortgage.
Now we concentrate on the run, the last part of the series.
Want to get faster?  Lose weight, your own body weight. This will help on the bike and the run. Don’t spend $3000 on a bike to save 2-3 pounds, go on a diet, eat less and healthier and lose the same or more, for free.  This will also change the rate at which your body generates and expels heat, giving you a faster run time (p141).
The past three days I ran 19 miles and lifted weights. I gained 2 pounds! Not the result I was seeking.
Sure the wonderful coconut frosting birthday cake I ate might not have been the best for dieting. Thinking back, Saturday, after an 8 mile run my lunch consisted of a huge piece of cake, but I did drink water with it. That may not have been my best choice for a meal. Maybe I should follow the advice of Barefoot Pete who told me, "Mike, why don't you try fasting for one day a week?" when I complained about being 10+ pounds over race weight. I seem to be able to fast for about 2-3 hours, then I start eating again. I'm pretty sure that isn't what Pete meant.
Anyhow - more free speed; Don’t overstride, aim for 180-190 strides per minute, for most runners this mean having a shorter stride. There will be less vertical force used, less braking force and less time on the ground, all of which make you a faster, more efficient runner – for free! A slow cadence puts a lot of force on your joints and slows you down.

There you have it! Some great ideas to get faster in your next triathlon without spending much, if any, money. Swim technique, a decent but not the most expensive, wetsuit; learn to bike aerodynamically, research and choose the best clincher tires, maybe buy an aero helmet; and, finally, learn to run without overstriding and having a quicker stride rate. Oh, and for most of us, lose weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment