Monday, July 15, 2013

Defensive Driving



Years ago in high school I took Driver’s Ed during the summer before my senior year. It wasn’t required, but I didn’t turn 17 until November of that year and I wanted to be able to drive at night. Taking Driver’s Ed was the only way I could do that. Decades later I still remember some lessons from those classes; Stay in your lane, come to a full stop at red lights, use a turn signal when switching lanes on the expressway (and not two clicks at the last second), use turn signals when actually turning, if there is an obstruction in your lane (say, a garbage truck partially blocking your path), you must wait until there is no on-coming traffic before pulling into the other lane. I also remember the one instructor who was more interested in trying to impress the high school girls and hit on them than necessarily teach the class, but that is another story. 

Back in those “good old days” driving more than 10mph over the thruway speed limit of 55 would virtually guarantee a ticket. 

These rules still make sense to me, especially as a bicyclist and runner who is always on a road, shoulder or crossing intersections. I daresay most drivers don’t agree. If you are driving 40 in a 35mph zone or 72mph in a 65mph zone, there is an excellent chance a car, truck or motorcycle will come up within five feet of your rear bumper. Signaling? Forget about it. Drivers act like you should know where they are going, or else they really don’t give a darn. If you are running on the sidewalk and need to cross the road, don’t go in front of a car that is thinking of turning red! There is an excellent chance you will end up on the hood of the car. The driver won’t look right, only left, and then blindly turn. Idiots.

Sunday Jan and I were biking on a rural road, everything was fine until a few cars and pickups went by. They gave us room but were going way over the 55 limit, it was a Whooooshhh as they screamed by in the other lane.
The drivers who really scare me are the ones who come from behind, driving on the white line, weave out a bit, then immediately weave across the line, and back and then over the line again. Put down the phone!! 

Lesson – In a car, bike, on foot, always think that the other driver is aiming for you or oblivious that you are even present. I drive thinking every car coming from the other direction is going to cross the middle line and hit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment