Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Marathon Taper Week

This is it, the last week before the Marine Corps Marathon that Lou, Mike W., Jennifer, Charlie Mullen and I will be running. Jan, Eileen and Joanne will be racing the MCM 10k. There are no special training runs we can do this week that will help us finish our respective races. If our training isn’t satisfactory already, the miles haven’t been put in, Sunday will be a long day in which we can physically suffer while enjoying the sites of D.C.

 
Ten Thoughts on Taper Week
 
1. I like planning out the food to eat, looking over nutrition guidelines, making a menu for each day and meal from Wednesday to Saturday night.
 
2. Today (Tuesday) I noticed walking up the stairs at work doesn’t hurt as it did in many of the last 12 weeks. This is a good sign, no doubt due to running less than usual on Sunday and a complete rest day on Monday.
 
3. Am I getting fat? Really, I feel the need to constantly cram carbs into my mouth. There is a box of Cheerios (20g carbs) in my file cabinet. I eat them dry, no milk, for a mid-morning snack in front of the computer like I’m a two year old getting potty trained and this is my reward. Carbohydrate loading = good, gaining two pounds = bad.
 
4. Last night I woke up in a sweat after dreaming about having to use a bathroom at the start line and thousands of people are around. Once the race begins at 7:55am I will be fine, but leaving the security of the hotel and waiting an hour + beforehand could be a high anxiety time.
 
5. With known gastrointestinal issues on many race mornings the final meal on Saturday night is key. I haven’t found a magic bullet yet that is the proper nutritional balance along with no side effects. The plan now is to have rice flavored with chicken broth, a few vegetables and ???
 
6. Since my daily running miles have decreased but the water intake hasn’t, there is a path worn in the floor from my cubicle desk to the bathroom.
 
7. I have finished the Marine Corps Marathon four times, the 10k once, this entire experience should be a piece of cake. So, why do I fluctuate between excitement and dread?
 
8. The Marines and crowds make this race awesome, especially the Marines.
 
9. Will anyone really care if my finishing time is 3:39:59 (Boston Qualifier) or 4:30 except me?
 
10. It’s good to have a mantra for when the times get tough during the race, this can be a bad patch that pops up at mile 17 but you push through and feel better at 20, or it can be at mile 22 when you don’t know how you can run the last four miles. Borrow mine if you like;
 
  • Must beat Mike W, Must beat Mike W.
  • Must beat Lou, Must beat Lou.
  • Pick a loved one and run a mile for them saying the name over and over.
  • A Marine wouldn’t quit (or Navy guy I guess, Lou).
  • Jan’s favorite, count your steps. Around 130-140x my right foot hits the ground is ¼ mile.
  • Count the number of people you pass in the last few miles, in a large race like MCM maybe just count the men, or women. Make it tougher by subtracting the ones who pass you.

No comments:

Post a Comment