Monday, October 8, 2012

Fit To Be Tied

"How tall are you Mike?" 6'1"? "You don't look that tall. Are you sure?"

Thus began my bike fitting, with a metal measuring stick riding up against my private parts and Dennis using his slide rule from 1968 to figure out the geometric numbers or some scientific mumbo-jumbo on how my bike and body will best co-exist.

Of course I will listen to Dennis's advice. He is a national class triathlete, can ride his Stingray, banana seat bike faster than me on a road bike, swim 400 meters using a kick board and no arms faster than my all out 300 and run backwards and beat me in a 5k. So, if Dennis wants me to hold a measuring stick against my private parts, while he adds, subtracts and subdivides,  I will do that.

Here's what I learned;

1. My bike and I actually fit quite nicely together.
2. Which means - I no longer have a freakin' excuse for being slow. Thanks Dennis!
3. Of course I can get faster - "how about training more, Mike"?
4. I always used the excuse my bike weighs more than Jan's which is why she can beat me up hills. Dennis had a scale which all five of us used that afternoon to weigh our bikes. Mine was the lightest. This day really got irritating.
5. My big complaint for soreness on the bike has always been my shoulders. Dennis's suggestion...pushups, pullups, etc. to build up those muscles. Why? Because my bike is fit properly. Damn, another excuse gone.
6. New wheels may really help my speed. Cost, $300 or so. Cost of bike originally, $800. This will require some higher level financial math for the cost/benefit ratio. Is it like adding a $1,000 stereo system to a $3,000 car? A famous friend (Lou) once said, "bikes are money pits".
7. Jan had a few adjustments done to her bike. Now she is more comfortable. Now she is even faster than me. Did I thank Dennis yet?
8. Jan likes her bike. It has taken Jan to a few 1/2 Ironman finish lines and one full Ironman. Jan wants a new bike, lighter, faster, more expensive. I'm guessing this will happen.
9. Dennis's wife has a wonderful sense of humor because...
10. ...She told Mike Weinpress he looked like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz riding his bike, all he needed was a little basket on the front. Needless to say Mike needed the most work of any of the five of us to get his bike fit properly.

Really, though, thanks to Dennis for taking the time to help the five of us feel more comfortable on our bikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment