Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Facebook and MCM

     Possibly I made a mistake by "Friending" the Marine Corps Marathon on my Facebook page. The Marines send reminders about how little time is left to train, now down to 24 days and 20 hours. I already feel woefully unprepared for my 19th and last marathon.
     If the weather is too warm I won't have a good race. If the dew point is over 60 I will become a sweat puddle and runoff into the Potomac in a little stream of my own water. But the Marines just keep sending their updates and my blood pressure and anxiety levels go up.
     Intelligent readers will say, "relax Mike, it's all for fun, you've done this before". Hogwash! It's 26.2 ridiculous miles with 25,000 other people. It's about maintaining a reasonable pace and not cramping so much in the last two miles a spectator wife turns to her spectator husband and says, "well, he's not going to make it to the finish". (happened in my last MCM, but I did finish, darn her, even if I did scream a bit in pain). It's about being able to run any kind of pace up the last hill toward the Iwo Jima Monument and feeling some pride of what you just accomplished.
     That's why I worry.

Top Ten Wednesday Thoughts;

1. Friending didn't become a verb until 7 years ago.
2. Poking has several meanings, the best is the 3 Stooges with Moe trying to poke Larry and Curly in the eyes. Now it's been hijacked by Facebook.
3. College students who attempt to exit a door with 3 signs stating, "NO EXIT", "EMERGENCY ONLY", should have their ID taken and be expelled from school. They are too ignorant to be here.
4. Really, I need to "Friend" you?
5. I want to go back to the time when a great phone was one on the wall with a 20' cord and politicians couldn't robocall me. (another new word, robocall).
6. Who will win the presidential debate tonight? If you like Romney now, he is the winner. If you like Obama now, he will be the best. The debate will do nothing to change minds.
7. Running at 5:15am is still hard, but I'm happy I can go home and relax after work.
8. I do like texting.
9. Gas at $4.03/gallon again? Give me a president who will get the price down to a reasonable level and not let the gas companies screw us, that man/woman will get my vote. I may even donate to their campaign.
10. Am I a bad American if I watch the Yankees play tonight instead of the debate? Promise I'll switch over during commercials.


    
    
    

3 comments:

  1. good one. I think those college students were in my building today. 9 pm? who is up past that. I get my sports the next morning on espn. Maybe they will show high(low)lights of the debate too. Sleep in and run with us at 5:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. last marathon? that's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, last marathon? Who stops at 19? You have to do one more. And I say under the lights at Vegas next year!!!

    ReplyDelete