Wednesday, July 25, 2012

London Olympics 2012

I love the Olympics! Imagine waiting four years hoping to qualify for your national team, making it, then training to peak for one day, one special race or event. Talk about reality television, it doesn't get anymore real than that!

The first Olympics I remember watching on television were 1968, held in Mexico City, I was eleven years old. I felt horrible for Jim Ryun when he "only" won the silver medal in the 1500meters. The broadcasters and newspapers ripped Ryun apart for not getting the gold. I saw Bob Beamon come out of nowhere to set the world record in the long jump. I remember the tension when sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos gave the Black Power Salute during the medal ceremony.

Now sports fans wait for the drama to unfold in London. I'm a runner, so the track and field events are my favorite. Here is the schedule. Watch for Molly Huddle, a 5,000 meter runner who grew up near Elmira and competed in the Rochester area many times.(finals 8/10). Of course Jenn Suhr, the world class pole vaulter who graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College, is competing (finals 8/6). The women's marathon is Sunday, August 5 and men's marathon Sunday, August 12.

Western NY people will also be cheering for Ryan Lochte in swimming (he lived in the Bristol area until 12) and Abby Wambach, Mercy High School graduate in soccer.

Other favorite sports to watch are equestrian, beginning July 28, cycling, swimming and the triathlon. The truth is I watch almost everything (except rythmic dancing, sailing, trampoline-when did that become an Olympic sport?, badminton, handball and water polo). I understand a degree of athleticism, years of practice, the difficulty involved, especially water polo, but they aren't usually exciting to sit there and watch a whole game.



No comments:

Post a Comment