Monday, July 23, 2012

Lake Placid Ironman

Well, I was considering registering for the 2013 Lake Placid Ironman at noon today. After all, I just  finished my first 70.3 distance, who cares if I slogged to a 6:48 time and probably wouldn't have made it to the finish line without Jan and Lou biking along for much of the half-marathon?

I went to the web site, the price for registering went up to $650, plus a processing fee. If you decide not to do the race they will refund $150. Yet their business model absolutely is a success judging by almost every one of the IM's selling out, usually in a few hours at most. When Jan did Lake Placid three years ago registration was under $500. Still a lot of money, but a 30% increase in fees seems ridiculous. But then, the first NYC IM sold out in minutes and is over $800.

Yes, in addition to all of the other sane reasons not to attempt an Ironman, I am too cheap.

Ten Reasons Not to Enter an Ironman;

1. I would need a new wetsuit, my current one was bought used and has gouges all over it.
 Cost $180+
2. I would need a faster bike. My road bike is nice, an "entry" level Trek that was under $800. Yes, training helps get better, but buying speed would make a 112 mile ride easier. So, let's say I find a lightweight, aerodynamic, fitted bike on sale. $1500-$2000 would be a moderate amount for that.
3. Accomodations. Understandably the local motels/homes for rent/condos charge more during IM periods. Usually there is a minimum 3 night stay, in fact, you have to check in to IM by Friday for a Sunday race, so your hand is forced. Figure room costs to be doubled. Many times homes you can rent require 2 weeks, one for IM week, one around that time or another time in the year (this is assuming you can find a room or house at all-they get booked while people are standing in line the morning in-person registration opens). Let's go with 4 nights in an average motel, nothing fancy. $1000.
4. Swimming lessons. With a wetsuit I am a moderate swimmer, middle of the pack in my age group maybe. A few lessons when having to race 2.4 miles might be in order. $400.
5. It's a damn long way to race. 140.6 miles. Ridiculous.
6. I get dehydrated easily and the older I get the more susceptible I am to the vagaries of weather.
7. I don't own a pool, public pools aren't always open (Bport state closed all summer, Roberts Wesleyan closed...well... the water disappeared overnight...). Lakes get darn cold around here between October-May.
8. 112 miles on a bike? My butt is sore just thinking about it.
9. Planning ahead. I'm supposed to know what I am doing with my life a year from now? I have a hard time thinking about what to make for dinner tonight.
10. Time. Time to train, eat, sleep. It's a part-time job, 15-25 hours a week of training, for months. That's a big load on the athlete and his/her family.

Total monetary price is a minimum of $3900, plus transportation and food. If you have a nice bike and wetsuit already, still figure $1650 plus food and transportation. Really, this is a big commitment, one I won't be doing.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've given this some serious thought....what's the famous line? "Methinks thou dost protest too much"
    Here's another way to think about it - you only live once, and it's only money! Whoops, did I just give my identity away?
    Sounds like fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say Sals can put together an IM for you for just the registration fee alone. You can sleep in the comfort or your own home. We can have a post race party with free beer and piped in music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad idea, holding our own IM. I probably couldn't get a tattoo though.

    ReplyDelete