Thursday, May 31, 2012

Panic Button

A few days ago I received an email with the headline, "37 Days Until the Race"! This is officially when I began to panic about my 1/2 IM training. That meant participants in the Tupper Lake Tinman triathlon had about 27 days to train and another 10 to rest/peak for the race. Suddenly time seemed precious.
Once in a while I check back in my training log and think, "okay, you swam more than the race distance, biked 50+ miles and ran 10 miles over a three-four day period, so the race should be doable."
But more often than not, I don't feel confident. I should run more, no-swim more, no-bike more... definitely bike more. Most of my time will be on the bike, on rolling hills, lots of hills. I need to bike more. Maybe swim too?
I really feel in good shape to race an Olympic Distance triathlon (.9m swim, 26 mile bike, 10k run). I'm not as confident about the 1.2m swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1m run. Knowing I have 20 days to train though is giving me added incentive to get up in the morning, run at night, swim in a lake and go further or faster than before. Last night was a speed track session, speed being relative. At 5:00am this morning was a fight with my inner-being and alarm clock before getting on the bike indoors and riding 20 miles before work. This was made easier knowing that Jan was going out to meet a friend and run 6 miles. Tonight should be a 5-6 mile run for me.
And so it goes. Thirty more days until we are looking at big orange buoys in Raquette Pond.

1 comment:

  1. Mike:
    If I could finish a Halfiron Man at 69 years of age anyone should be able to. By the way I think I read Solzenitzen 30 years ago.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete