Monday, February 27, 2012

Family Tradition?


Apparently my new predilection for the taste of Bourbon has roots going back a long way. Jan and I learned yesterday that my father and his brother, as young boys under the age of 10, had the after-school job of sitting in the basement of their North Greece Rd. home and watching the still my grandfather had built.
The boys had to fill bottles of whisky and somehow measure the alcohol content of each one to ensure its' quality. My father remembers two customers in particular, Mr. Howe, the Town of Greece Superintendent in the 1940's and Sheriff Al Skinner. Evidently my grandfather's whiskey was of high enough quality that even the "law" was willing to overlook a still operating in the basement!


Hank Williams Jr., Family Tradition

All of this means that it is normal and okay for me to exercise like a maniac, feel guilty for only running 10 miles in the morning and not biking, swimming or lifting weights too, and have a few sips of Bourbon around dinner time, after all, it's Family Tradition!













2 comments:

  1. Jebediah Weinpress ran whiskey through hostile territories during the 1800's. He didn't drink any of it until he met Shayna O'Coffey in the Carson City tavern called the Highbridge. He asked her to square dance and the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being embarrassed to have anyone see my feet when we were kids because mine were often stained from stomping on grapes in our basement.As we got older, he let us wear boots so it stained feet weren't a problem. Today...I have different reasons for being embarrassed about my feet...maybe I should go back to the excuse that it's from the grapes! :)

    ReplyDelete