Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Problem with Triathlons

I swam at MCC during lunch today, unfortunately this is the last week of lap swimming here. I used a buoy and averaged about 1 minute faster per 300 yards. Typical for me and similar to wearing a wetsuit in a race.

No music at the pool, so my mind was wandering and this is what I came up with;

In biking you can get a lightweight bike, spend $2000 on wheels, aero bars, etc, still be legal, and cream people of similar ability riding lesser bikes. Swimming many times you can wear a wetsuit and be legal, save energy and float easier, move faster with less effort.

But when running all you can wear are lightweight racers, maybe save a few seconds, otherwise…no aids. This is why running is the purer sport. It’s not up to my wallet to make me faster. Train hard, consistently, don’t get hurt and you might get faster.

Biking and swimming, open my wallet, spend money, instant speed.

This doesn't mean I am against triathlons. My long range plans may include a 2012 attempt at completing a half-ironman again. I would like to make the finish line once. It does mean I have little chance of truly being competitive in my age group though, with guys spending $5000 plus on their bikes versus my $900. Really, what other sport gives you this option? Golf I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment