Thursday, May 12, 2011

Act Naturally

In the 1960's Country and Western singer Buck Owens had a hit song called "Act Naturally"
They're goin' put me in the movies
They're goin' make a big star out of me
and all I have to do is act naturally.



My first day of riding my bike home from work this year and I was flagged down while riding on the canal path by WOKR-TV news reporter Angela Hong and a cameraman. My chance at stardom and I was going to grab it! I removed my bike helmet, fixed my hair and took off the sunglasses so I would look "marvelous". Do you look at the camera or the woman with the microphone? I wasn't sure. Angela was more attractive so I looked at her. Angela made me say my name, spell my name and they still got it wrong on the broadcast. McCullough, NOT McCollough. Strike one.

A few days before a man riding his bike to work was robbed at gunpoint. Ms. Hong talked to me for a few minutes regarding how safe I felt using the canal path. The cameraman and Angela asked quite a few questions about why I carried pepper spray.

Out of a 3-4 minute interview 17 seconds was shown on the news two days later. Strike two. This included me attempting to ride my bike past the cameraman, up a slight incline. Though the video makes it appear I rode first, then was asked questions, it was actually opposite. I couldn't get my left foot clipped in and wobbled a bit as I pedaled up towards them really using just one leg.

I was happy I didn't fall over!
So that's it. My television career on the cutting room floor. Strike three and I'm out, still just a librarian.

2 comments: