Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cubism


I now work in a cubicle. There are three other staff members in the office with me, each with their own cube. I used to have my own office...with a door and two desks. Now I have a cube. Librarians should not be in cubes. We need to be surrounded by books. I love ordering new books, opening the boxes, being the first to touch them, open the cover and browse. Maybe that's why I was sent to a cube, someone was jealous I was touching the books first?

I do have three chairs. They all have issues, or, really, I have issues with them. Two are twins, nice purply color cushions for my butt and back. As a normal chair they are okay, but for an office/desk chair, not so much. They don't adjust, there are no arm supports or wheels. Not good for computer ergonomics.

Then I have the "office chair". It has grey cushions, which match the grey walls of my cube. It also has armrests. Except the arms don't adjust. The chair leans to the left. Really. It does have wheels, but three of the five don't work. It groans whenever I switch position. My officemates think this is me, but really, it's the chair.

How about the space of the cubicle? Maybe 6x6 with the "door" opening four feet wide so I am on display whenever someone walks in the office. I'm thinking of making a fancy sheet to hang across the opening, but the bosses might not appreciate my sense of privacy.

You may be asking what this all has to do with running? Well, these chairs destroy my right hamstring. If I don't get up to wander around every thirty minutes, or be weird and stand inside my cube (forget the stretching when officemates are here, that would really freak them out)by the afternoon my leg barely moves. I miss my old office and chair.

Some other things I've learned about cubism:
1. Body sounds and smells - it would be rude to burp, pass gas, crunch food with officemates so close.
2. Talking on a phone. No matter what everyone in the office area can hear you. There is no such thing as a private conversation.
3. Germs. Does a four-foot wall really suffice?
4. Changing clothes - in my private office at DCC I used to change into my bike or running clothes in the office. It was nice. Now, this wouldn't be welcome by the three women I share the office with. Well, maybe it would, but I'd be uncomfortable. This is where my privacy curtain could help?
5. Watching. At least three people know when I come, when I go. Be ever vigilant.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally Mike. I have gone from cube to office--back and forth a number of times, and cubes usually suck, even when they have tall walls and are larger than the 6x6 you mention.

    The big lie that is perpetuated by the office furniture industry (yeah, the same folks that sell overpriced office chairs also dominate the 'cube' market) is that it is much cheaper to slap together a couple partitions than it is to construct an office. Yes it is. The first time. Problem is, in every scenario I have been involved with, the cubes get reconfigured about every 12 months, and that means bringing in mechanics, electricians, phone/data people, etc; so it is a false economy.

    My current gig comes with a large office (15 x 24) with not one, but two big oak doors. One is an escape door out the back...a manager's dream. So I am on the positive end of the pendulum, but I know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a dog. Then you don't have to blame the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. buy a chair that doesn't hurt your hamstring!

    ReplyDelete