Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Innocence Lost (moral wrongdoing?)

The problem began simply enough. The product was cheap and suppliers were abundant. Friends and family members were doing it, or so I told myself. Even my wife joined in at times.
It came in a box and was available in red or white. I was only an average runner no matter how much I trained. Continually searching for some kind of edge, this product seemed so easy, so difficult to resist. It promised to help me recover from training, enjoy life more and lower cholesterol (or maybe blood pressure?).
My first dosages were a box every two-three weeks. But as I saw the results I wanted, no, needed more. It hurt my family, all that money I was spending. I couldn't help myself.
Yes, I was a box wine addict. But only for health reasons. Really.
After a long and tumultuous recovery I have since moved on to other, more acceptable means of consuming alcohol. I am a card carrying member of Mahan's and Marketplace liquor stores and haven't purchased a box of wine in years. I will always carry the emotional scars of hiding the boxes in my fridge when friends visited. Please forgive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment