Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fallen & Can't Get Up!

The latest version of the Fleet Feet Snow Cheap series of winter races, to be forever called The Icefest in my mind, was held last night (Wednesday, January 20).
Snow Cheap is six races held every other Wednesday, at Cobb's Hill park in Rochester beginning at 6:30pm, headlamps required. Competitors choose to be in the snowshoe or trail shoe category, but this is always weather dependent. Last night there was not enough snow, so no snowshoes allowed (though I think it would have been easier with them).
For my warmup, per usual, I ran the course, since it changes for each race and I like getting in the extra miles and hills.

The Good - course was well marked and at least three miles.
The Bad - most of the course was covered in ice and crunchy snow.
The Good - Yax Trax or screws in your running shoes would give a distinct advantage.
The Bad - I didn't have either.
The Good - I learned to walk quickly and hang on branches and trees.
The Bad - I rolled down one steep hill that was sheer ice.
The Good - I finished the warmup without major injury.
The Bad - I really considered skipping the race and going home. I didn't relish doing the course again with 130 other people.

The Race
The Good - I decided to race, too embarrassed to go inside the lodge and hand in my chip.
The Bad - I fell behind quickly, way behind.
The Good - I passed many people about 1/2 way into the race till the finish.
The Bad - I fell two more times, including once on the same downhill as the warmup run. Hanging onto trees I spun around twice before collapsing in a heap. Intelligent people slid down the hill on their butts, at least 7 passing me this way as I rolled over and over. I fell on an ice patch going slightly uphill deep in the woods. Got half way upright and skated across, falling again. Had to crawl out/up.
The Good - Finished in 29:58, much better than the warmup, but only 3rd in my age group and the snowshoe category. I made it out with a bruised thumb.

Maybe the next Snow Cheap we will have snow again? The second race we were on snowshoes and it was actually fun. Also the views of the city skyline from the top of Cobb's Hill are fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment