Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

2010, that number doesn't look right, maybe we need to refer to the new year as Roman numerals, MMX. Yeah, that's a sexier, more appealing look. I hereby deem this new year MMX.
Everyone makes resolutions or goals for the coming year, especially athletically minded people, and I am no different. My top ten list for MMX;
10. Lose X pounds. If I were normal I would be skinny, but, as we all know, I am not normal. It's a fact that I am not a good enough athlete to run to my full potential weighing in at 173 (yes, still 173 even after a month of "dieting"). But I'm not giving up.
9. Qualify for the Empire State Games 1500m and 5k races.
8. Qualify for the National Snowshoe championship.
7. Win at least one medal at the ESG's, held in late February.
6. Become more Tigger like and less Eeyorish. Probably not possible, but the attempt will be made.
5. Finish in the top 5, in my age group, for Rochester Runner of the Year.
4. Qualify for the Boston marathon in the fall. This can be by running a 3:35:59 and qualifying for MMXI, or 3:45:59 and qualifying as a 55 year old for MMXII.
3. Cook healthier and better tasting foods. This actually began last night as I prepared tilapia, from my new Jamie Oliver cookbook, with a sidedish of broccoli seasoned with an asian sauce. Jan and I actually thought both dishes were delicious.
Probably I need a couple more non-athletic goals to fill out this list. After all these years of running you would think I would have lost a lot of my competitiveness. Obviously I'm not going to race anywhere near the times I did in the past. You know my kids don't remember me not running? Funny, I grew up hating to run, even when participating in other sports. Running was just a means to get into shape for whatever sport I was playing. But most of the time, when I go to a race, I still want to do my best, whatever that is, and I do take pleasure in "making the podium" (top 3) in my age group and beating lots of people younger than me. I probably won't ever really grow up.

Hmmm, well I don't have a top X list of goals, only VIII. That's okay, it makes success more achievable.
Have a great MMX!

No comments:

Post a Comment