Thursday, October 29, 2009

Marine Corp Marathon

Still one of my favorite marathons, even though I ran the 10k instead. No one organizes a race like the Marines. In spite of having a few more important things to do, like fight two wars, they made all of us feel special.

Joanne and I ran the 10k, arriving a bit early to the start as I was particularly worried about the metro and crowds. Fortunately it was a fairly nice morning and we stayed reasonably warm inside our fashion conscious garbage bags. After a couple of quick port-o-john trips we hid out in the metro tunnel for awhile, until security shooed us away. The announcer kept saying 7400+ runners had registered for the 10k, but I had no problem finding space to warmup or getting into a corral and about 30 yards from the start line. Joanne, a bit nervous for her first 10k, was further back in the crowd.
The Howitzer went off and we quickly left the Mall and the Washington Monument and headed towards the Jefferson Memorial. We ran across a bridge over the Potomac (the bridge had hills) and headed left towards Crystal city. When we turned back towards the finish we passed the Pentagon before finishing at the Iwo Jima monument near the Arlington National Cemetery.
The race, though a little more rolling than I expected, turned out well. Joanne ran a great time for her first 10k. I was a bit slower than expected, but somehow finished in the top 5% overall, with 5000+ finishers. I think the fast people ran in the marathon.
The gang of five, Mike May, Mike W., Eileen W. Lou K, and Jan M, ran the full marathon, starting near the cemetery, through Rosslyn, Georgetown, the endless island, the Mall, Crystal City and back to Iwo Jima monument. Everyone finished, with Eileen setting a pr by 20 minutes or so. It is not an easy course, with a few hills, especially in the opening 8 miles.
Our hotel, especially the location, was fantastic, about 3-400 yards from the finish (Virginian Suites). Every room included a full kitchen.
This was Jan's 5th MCM, I think we will be back in a couple of years so I can get my fifth finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment