Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fly By Night Duathlon

The Porsche cars sped around the Watkins Glen Track, one race after another. It was neat walking through the starting area with the cars lined up and drivers strapped in. I felt better about spending money on our hobby after seeing what some people must spend with the Porsche cars, especially when they crack up.

The Fly by Night Duathlon began at 6:15pm, with our transition area in pit row. The 200 or so athletes started together on a 1.8 mile loop through the campground area. The 10.2 mile bike ride was three loops of the race track, which has some significant rolling hills. The race was a blast.

We ran 1.8, biked 10.2, ran 1.8, biked 10.2 and ran 1.8, finishing in pit row. Dick finished first in his age group, Jan second (one minute from first) and I finished 9/14 in my age group.

I officially can not make fun of Jan and her transition times anymore. She beat me by about a minute overall in transitions. My average time was 30-45 seconds slower than anyone in my age group, which is ridiculous in a duathlon. I could have improved my time by 2-3 minutes just by moving a bit quicker during transitions.
Oh well, next year.

4 comments:

  1. it's amazing how much time you can save in transition if you don't stop to read the sports section of the newspaper. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to paint my bike in day-glo hippie colors so I can find it on the racks. Black doesn't work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also-let's see who wins the transition contest at Keuka Lake, you, Eileen or Mr W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shall I teach you? Apparently its the only part of a triathlon that I'm really good at since I can beat you and mom..

    ReplyDelete