Monday, December 17, 2012

What Lance Armstrong Made Me Do



With the recent investigation into whether Lance did or didn’t take performance enhancing drugs from 1998-2006 while competing in the Tour de France, and winning it seven straight times, it’s appropriate to look at what Lance made me do. We can discuss his guilt or innocence later.

Because of Lance I:
1. Bought a Trek bicycle (Trek was one of Lance's sponsors)

2. Became a Tour de France groupie on television and the internet. When he was racing I would follow the stages at work on the computer and watch the television coverage at home, even if I knew the outcome.

3. Realized I could train outside on my bike in the rain.

4. Read his book, “It’s not all about the bike”.

5. Read other books on the history of the Tour.

6. Honestly I did follow the Tour a little bit before Lance, back when Hinault and Greg Lemond battled (late 80’s-1991). But nothing like when Lance took hold. He captivated myself and much of the United States.

7. Ride indoors, even on good weather days, while watching the Tour and pretending to ride with the pros.

8. Enjoyed the French not liking an American winning "their" race.



1 comment:

  1. If Lance has to return any winnings or sponsor fees, do you get a refund on your bike? MW

    ReplyDelete