Monday, July 26, 2010

Shoreline Triathlon

"The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."

"So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys, I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, at that moment I was a marine biologist."
Actually the starting horn sounded and I began swimming through the waves. About 30 yards later I stood up, having swallowed a gallon or so of fresh, clean Lake Ontario water, choking, wondering if I could continue. It was definitely a struggle for me to make it to the second buoy where we turned and no longer had to fight the current. My swim time was 4 minutes faster than two years ago! Still middle of the pack, but hey, you are really only competing against yourself.
I also saved another two minutes in transition. But I gave over three minutes back on the bike. Struggled against the wind on Church street, though it seemed other athletes didn't have the same problem.
My run was 30 seconds better than 2008. Overall about a 2 minute improvement in race times.
I don't think I'll grow up to be a really good triathlete, even in my age group, but it was mostly fun (except the lake swallowing). The shorter distances seem better for me also, in the 1:30-2:00 hour range.
Thanks to all my family and friends who showed up, cheered and volunteered.
Now it's all about Jan and marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment