Saturday, July 25, 2009

IM Pre-Race Lake Placid

Amanda, Jan and I arrived at our "chalet" in Lake Placid on Thursday. It's a convenient location, kitchenette (no stove), great view, so is working pretty well. The chalet is actually a longer version of a KOA cabin next to the Swiss Acres Inn, but I love sitting on the porch and looking at the mountains in the distance.
Friday morning I got up early and biked one loop of the IM course, a total of 60 miles. It went fairly well. Then Jan and I swam .5 miles in Mirror Lake. Then Jan and I biked 13.5 miles. The Pinot Grigio and beer helped me recover. There are benefits to being a supporter and not a racer!
Saturday was a day of Jan prepping her bags for transition. Amanda helped with that process while I tried not to hyperventilate from my own stupid pre-race nerves, and I'm not racing! Jan, Amanda and I went to the Gatorade practice swim. Amanda eventually warmed up (no wetsuit) and we did about 4-500 yards in the lake. Jan and I then went for another 400 yard swim. Jan seems to be comfortable in the water. Swimming in the lake is nice if you can keep your head in check. The wetsuit also helps.
There are athletes all over the town, of course. On Thursday Jan and Amanda were driving back from the store and saw a biker get hit by a stupid driver. He was going down hill, probably 25-30mph, and the driver said she didn't hit him. Amanda, fortunately a paramedic, was the first to him and made the biker lay still as his back hurt. The cops and ambulance came soon and backboarded him. Hopefully he will have a quick recovery.
We will be up around 4:10am on Sunday, as Jan needs to get set in transition, body marked (the best volunteer job ever!), and over to the swim start.
Hopefully Amanda and I can give updates throughout race day.

1 comment: