Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Domestique

"In Italy and Spain, the term gregario (a soldier of the Roman legions, "one into the group" is used, while in Belgium and the Netherlands the term knecht ("servant") is used." (from Wikipedia, an extremely reliable web resource. Besides, if it's on the Internet, it must be true!).

One of the most famous Domestique's is George Hincapie, who played a large role in support of Lance Armstrong and his 7 Tour de France championships (George on left, Lance on right in photo).



Sometimes I feel like Eileen and I are domestiques for Jan. We don't ride with her for 100 miles, but team up or accompany Jan on shorter (20-60 mile) rides. Before rides I mix our bottles of Heed, Sustained Energy, get the Hammer Bars and gels, and make sure there is enough Endurolytes for both of us. Many times I plan the routes, Jan may not even know exactly where we are going until the turn is coming up.

Do you think George mopped Lance's floors or cleaned his tub? I wonder if George cooked many of the team dinners or had to do the dishes? As a teammate, did George mow Lance's lawn and pull weeds? Probably not.

Maybe I should put together a resume and apply for next year's Tour as a domestique? Of course I may have to learn how to ride up a mountain or take part in a team time trial riding at 30mph. There should be a masters division in the Tour. Why not have teams of over 40+ and 50+ age riders? Now that would be fair. Excuse me while I go write a letter to the head of the Tour de France.
Posted by Mike at 1:13 PM
Labels: Domestique, George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment