Wednesday, September 4, 2013

RWLTM Club

Today I attended my first meeting of the "Runners Who Lost Their Motivation" (RWLTM) club. True, I was the only person in attendance, but sometimes admitting a problem intrinsically is the first step to finding a "cure".

How did I lose my motivation for really running fast in training or especially in races after 30 years? I'm not entirely sure. For most of this year I believed I was training the right way, at least to succeed in anything from the mile to a 5k. But really my weekly miles were low and biking way less than the previous three years. Weightlifting is going well, though no one but me can tell as I never have and evidently never will get muscles that pop out, even if I am stronger.

Maybe training for months two or more times a day to be able to complete the Tinman Half-Iron distance last summer and then the Marine Corps Marathon took a mental toll. I know last winter was waste as I didn't snowshoe once.

So, what are the steps involved in the RWLTM cure? Unlike the 12 step Alcoholics Anonymous program, there are 10 steps!

10. Admit to others that I have a problem  (done)
9.   Desire to train hard again (work in progress)
8.   A power greater than myself will help in getting me re-motivated (Jan, Mike W., Lou, ...etal)
7.  Learn to run again even on days when I'm tired, thereby building an aerobic base.
6. Embrace quotes such as; "If I'm standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough." --Steve Jones, former marathon world record holder
5.Losing weight, for real. 6'1" and 176 might be light for normal people, but is ten pounds more than I need to be to run fast.
4.Stop using age as an excuse. Forget about my times during my 30's or 40's, I was faster on snowshoes five years ago in a mile race than I am now running on the track.
3.Made an inventory of my training log over the past 10 months and can see where I've failed and need to improve.
2.The need to find a goal race and time to focus on. (Race with Grace 10k - Thanksgiving)
1. Stay injury free (which I have thankfully done well at this year)

That's it, the RWLTM cure. If you are suffering from this mental disorder, don't give up, there is always a chance you, too, can recover.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list and I can identify to all exept #3. Forget the past. we are starting now. we had a great 10 miler last week so let's build on it. long runs build endurance and burn calories. run a couple of times a week like you're being chased by a dog. don't work, play. work is a bummer.

    yours in non-motivation,
    mw

    ReplyDelete