Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tupper Lake Tinman

It's true, I may be getting a bit anxious about attempting another 1/2 Ironman this weekend. Three reasons for picking Tupper;
1. Can wear a wetsuit
2. In the Adirondacks, should be cooler all day than my attempt at Florida
3. Less expensive than the trademarked IM races ($140 entry fee versus typical $250 or more)

Good news, we can still wear wetsuits so my legs shouldn't be dragging along the bottom of Raquette pond and the race fee remained at $140.
Bad news, the temperature is forecast to be highs of 80-85 and mostly sunny. At least the humidity should be lower than Florida. Amanda get your IV drip ready for me!

Tuesday night I took my bike out for a quick spin. Sunday I had just cleaned the chain and the bike frame and put on a new rear tire (please no flats during the race!). There was a constant clicking sound as my pedal came around while in the big gear. I adjusted the derailleur and it seemed to stop. On my Tuesday ride the clicking was worse and shifting while in the big gear was horrible. D...o...n...'...t  h..y..p..e..r..v..e..n..t..i..l..a..t..e! Must breathe. Relax. NOOO. My race is over, I can't fix this! No bike shop will repair it in less than a week!

Which shop do I go to? Sugar's in Spencerport was the closest, I called and he was going to be open till 7pm. I was down there in 10 minutes. Damien told me if I needed parts there was no way it would be ready by Thursday when we are leaving. I was crushed. My race was over once again.  He had one hour left before closing and might be able to look at it. On the way to our last swim, 45 minutes later, Damien called. He had it fixed, but was closing soon. Fortunately, as Jan and I were picking up our last pre-race pizza, she noticed Sugar's was still open and it was 8pm. (how great a town do we have where our favorite pizza place and a bike store are in the same plaza?).

Even better, Damien didn't charge me. He is fairly certain that if I don't mash the gears the bike should be okay for the race. Next week I can take it in for more extensive work. I carried the bike away like a newborn child and gently placed it on the bike rack.

My breathing has started to return to normal. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. you will have to wait until sunday for the IV drip...

    ReplyDelete