Thursday, February 3, 2011

As the World Turns

Funny how things work out. A few years ago Eileen and Jan decided to do their first triathlon. Lou joined in, because, well, he's Lou and will try anything we tell him to.

Mike, who happens to be married to Eileen, wanted nothing to do with a triathlon, except he whole-heartedly, well, half-heartedly, supported Eileen in this new endeavor.

After a couple of years Mike decided he would learn to swim too. A year later he bought a new bike so he could ride with Eileen.

Now Mike is the driving force behind three Sals members participating in an indoor tri this Sunday. Super Bowl Sunday, when most guys are prepping their deep fryers for the chicken wings, smathering steaks with home-made sauce and tasting beer and scotch by the big-screen tv. Mike, Al and Lou (as I said, Lou will do anything) will be swimming indoors, biking on a stationary bike and running on a 150meter banked track at the Rochester Downtown Y tri. How Mike ever got Al to do this is beyond comprehension. My image of Al as the commonsense leader among Sals is blown. This one small step may eventually lead to 1/2 IM's (ask Eileen and Jan) and full blown IM's (ask Jan).

Fortunately I will be home on Super Sunday, loading up my nachos with peppers and salsa. Go Pittsburgh! Or Green Bay! (really, I don't care too much who wins this year).

3 comments:

  1. You make it look like I have no will of my own and my actions are guided by Eileen, Lou,Jan, and you. Well maybe so, but have you noticed since most of the team has been hurt I have not signed up for any snow shoe races...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. I wish I liked to swim.

    I'm routing against both teams. I hope the commercials are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Bport and swim with us!

    ReplyDelete